Labradorite is a feldspar mineral, part of the group, which includes moonstone and sunstone. First discovered in the late 18th century in the Labrador Peninsula of Canada but also found in Finland, Russia, and Madagascar.
One of the most distinctive features of labradorite is its iridescence, often referred to as “labradorescence.” This phenomenon is a result of the unique composition of the stone, which contains layers of different minerals. When light enters these layers, it is refracted and scattered, creating a stunning play of colours blues, greens, and yellows but also flashes of orange, pink and even purple.
Labradorite has a long and rich history steeped in lore and legend. The Inuit people of Canada believed that labradorite was the frozen fire of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) and that it contained the spirits of their ancestors. According to Inuit legend, a brave warrior once struck a large piece of labradorite with his spear, releasing the Northern Lights into the sky. They believe that labradorite specimens still contain some of the Northern Lights within them, which is why they shimmer with such a magical light.
Mythology and lore
In Norse mythology, labradorite was associated with the Bifrost Bridge, a rainbow bridge that connected the world of Midgard (Earth) to the world of Asgard (the realm of the gods). The Bifrost Bridge was said to be guarded by the watchman Heimdall, who used his horn Gjallarhorn to warn the gods of the approach of Ragnarok, the end of the world. Labradorite was believed to be a fragment of the Bifrost Bridge, and was said to have the power to protect travellers from harm.
Chakra and spiritual healing
Labradorite is associated with the throat chakra, the energy centre of communication and self-expression. It is believed that labradorite can help to open and balance the throat chakra, making it easier to speak our truth and express ourselves authentically. Labradorite is also said to be a stone of transformation, helping us to release negative emotions and patterns and to embrace new possibilities.
Labradorite is believed to be helpful for:
- Transformation and Change: It is said to help individuals navigate life’s challenges and transitions, providing clarity and strength during times of uncertainty.
- Protection: It is considered to be a shield that safeguards against negative energies and psychic attacks.
- Intuition and Psychic Abilities: Labradorite is thought to enhance one’s intuition and unlock psychic abilities. It’s believed to connect the wearer with higher realms and hidden knowledge.
- Creativity: The colours in labradorite are said to inspire creativity and artistic expression. Helping individuals tap into their inner well of inspiration.
- Balance and Harmony: Many people wear labradorite to bring balance and harmony into their lives. It’s thought to align the chakras and promote a sense of well-being.