Obsidian is a volcanic glass that has been used by humans for thousands of years. It is known for its sharp edges and jet black colour. Obsidian has been used to make tools, weapons, and jewellery, and it has also been used in divination and ritual practices.
Obsidian is a powerful stone with a wide range of properties. It is believed to be a protective stone that can ward off negative energy. Obsidian is also thought to have healing properties and to be able to promote spiritual growth.
Here is a summary of some of the most important properties of obsidian:
- Protection: Obsidian is believed to be a powerful protective stone. It is said to absorb and deflect negative energy, both psychic and physical. Obsidian can be worn or carried to protect against negative influences, such as curses, hexes, and psychic attacks.
- Healing: Obsidian is also thought to have healing properties. It is said to be helpful for detoxification, digestion, and pain relief. Obsidian is also believed to be helpful for emotional healing, such as releasing trauma and grief.
- Spiritual growth: Obsidian is also known as a stone of spiritual growth. It is said to help people to see the truth about themselves and to confront their shadow selves. Obsidian can also help people to connect with their spiritual side and to develop their intuition.
In addition to these general properties, obsidian is also associated with a number of specific benefits. For example, obsidian is said to be helpful for:
- Grounding and centring: Obsidian is a grounding stone that can help people to feel more connected to their bodies and to the Earth.
- Clarity and focus: Obsidian can help people to think more clearly and to focus on their goals.
- Decision-making: Obsidian can help people to make better decisions by providing them with insights into their own motivations and the motivations of others.
- Creativity: Obsidian can help people to be more creative by opening their minds to new ideas and possibilities.
Obsidian is a powerful stone with a wide range of properties. It can be used for protection, healing, spiritual growth, and a variety of other purposes. If you are drawn to obsidian, it may be a sign that you can benefit from its energy.
Obsidian has a long and rich folklore associated with it. In many cultures, it is believed to be a protective stone that can ward off negative energy. It is also thought to have healing properties and to be able to promote spiritual growth.
Here is a summary of some of the most common folklore associated with obsidian around the world:
Native Americans believed that obsidian was a gift from the gods
The Apache people believed that obsidian can be used to see into the future. They would use obsidian mirrors to scry (foretell) for information about upcoming events and to communicate with the spirit world.
In Mono Lake, California there are obsidian cliffs deemed sacred by many Native American tribes and were a source of high quality obsidian used to make tools and weapons that were traded all over the western US
The Aztecs and Mayans believed that obsidian was a sacred stone and also used it to make mirrors, knives, and arrowheads. Obsidian mirrors were used by priests to see into the future.
The Aztec god Tezcatlipoca (AKA Smoking Mirror), was associated with obsidian. Tezcatlipoca was the god of the night & night sky and the earth. was also the god of divination and magic.
In Scottish folklore, obsidian is known as “the stone of scrying” as they believed that obsidian mirrors can be used to see into the future and to communicate with the dead. The Scottish seeress Thomas the Rhymer was said to have used an obsidian mirror to see into the future and predicted many important events including the Battle of Bannockburn and the death of King Robert the Bruce.
In African folklore, obsidian is known as “the stone of truth.” Obsidian is often used in African divination practices to help people see the truth about themselves and their situations. It is also used to make amulets and talismans that are believed to protect against negative energy and to promote spiritual growth.