The anchor a symbol that is linked to sailors and is tattooed and worn as jewellery by many people who love sailing and the sea. The anchor has a deeper meaning than its obvious connection to the ocean.
Anchors are associated with their nautical use of holding boats in place by pulling down a chain and gripping into the seabed while the attached chain controls the boat.
The most recognizable parts of the anchor are the flukes; these are the hook-shaped arms that come from the base and give the anchor the shape as it is known. The flukes physically grab the seabed to hold the anchor in place.
Archaeologists and Historians have found anchors that resemble this style in Rome from the 1st century. The earliest known symbolic meanings of the anchor were “safety and hope” However, there are early coins with the anchor stamped on, honouring the Roman god of the sea Neptune.
Each part of the anchor has its own symbolic meaning:
- The cross within the anchor represents the unity of spirit and masculinity.
- The crescent moon shape created by the flukes represents femininity and the womb.
- The two flukes represent the love between two people.
- When used a grave memorial it is a sign that the deceased worked in the maritime profession.
- Anchors symbolise adventures and strong roots that you can set sail from.
- A broken anchor represents letting go of the past.
- With its similarity to the cross, the anchor is a religious symbol representing salvation, steadfast belief, and hope and faith in Christ.
- The anchor also symbolizes safety, security, confidence, hope, stability, good luck and consistent strength.
- Anchor also represents overcoming adversity and being resilient.
- It is a reminder of one’s roots, and of staying grounded, regardless of how far you move from your origins. It is a reminder to be proud of who you are.
The Anchors are made from real wood and not MDF or plywood as this is much better for you and ourselves to handle. We have the anchors in various sized and finished and can supply as a kit form in bare wood with a length of natural rope to create your own art piece
There are no reviews yet.